1 the organ that bears the ovules of a flower
2 (vertebrates) one of usually two organs that produce ova and secrete estrogen and progesterone
An ovary is an ovum-producing reproductive organ found in female organisms. It is often found in pairs as part of the vertebrate female reproductive system. Ovaries in females are homologous to testes in males. The term gonads refers to the ovaries in females and testes in males.
Human anatomyOvaries are oval shaped and, in the human, measure approximately 3 cm x 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm. The ovary (for a given side) is located in the lateral wall of the pelvis in a region called the ovarian fossa. The fossa usually lies beneath the external iliac artery and in front of the ureter and the internal iliac artery.
Each ovary is then attached to the Fimbre of the Fallopian Tube. Usually each ovary takes turns releasing eggs every month; however, if there was a case where one ovary was absent or dysfunctional then the other ovary would continue providing eggs to be released.
LigamentsIn the human the paired ovaries lie within the pelvic cavity, on either side of the uterus, to which they are attached via a fibrous cord called the ovarian ligament. The ovaries are uncovered in the peritoneal cavity but are tethered to the body wall via the suspensory ligament of the ovary. The part of the broad ligament of the uterus that covers the ovary is known as the mesovarium. a fart
ExtremitiesThere are two extremities to the ovary:
- The outermost layer is called the germinal epithelium.
- The tunica albuginea covers the cortex.
- The ovarian cortex consists of ovarian follicles and stroma in between them. Included in the follicles are the cumulus oophorus, membrana granulosa (and the granulosa cells inside it), corona radiata, zona pellucida, and primary oocyte. The zona pellucida, theca of follicle, antrum and liquor folliculi are also contained in the follicle. Also in the cortex is the corpus luteum derived from the follicles.
- The innermost layer is the ovarian medulla. It can be hard to distinguish between the cortex and medulla, but follicles are usually not found in the medulla.
- If the egg fails to release from the follicle in the ovary an ovarian cyst may form. Small ovarian cysts are common in healthy women. Some women have more follicles than usual (polycystic ovary syndrome), which inhibits the follicles to grow normally and this will cause cycle irregularities.
- Ovarian cancer
Image:Illu cervix.jpg|Uterus and uterine tubes Image:Illu repdt female.jpg|Organs of the female reproductive system. Image:Illu ovaryb.jpg|Ovary image:ovulation.jpg|An ovary about to release an egg. Image:Gray589.png |Vessels of the uterus and its appendages, rear view. öphoron. Image:Gray1170.png |Arteries of the female reproductive tract: uterine artery, ovarian artery and vaginal arteries.
- http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZ8QKJ56JC&sub_cat=516 From the American Medical Association
- http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec22/ch241/ch241a.html Merck Online Medical Library: Female Reproductive System
ovary in Arabic: مبيض
ovary in Bosnian: Jajnici
ovary in Breton: Vigell
ovary in Bulgarian: Яйчник
ovary in Catalan: Ovari
ovary in Czech: Vaječník
ovary in Welsh: Ofari
ovary in Danish: Æggestok
ovary in German: Eierstock
ovary in Dhivehi: ބިސްރަވަ
ovary in Spanish: Ovario
ovary in Esperanto: Ovario (anatomio)
ovary in French: Ovaire (anatomie)
ovary in Galician: Ovario
ovary in Korean: 난소
ovary in Croatian: Jajnici
ovary in Indonesian: Ovarium
ovary in Icelandic: Eggjastokkur
ovary in Italian: Ovaia
ovary in Hebrew: שחלה
ovary in Javanese: Ovarium
ovary in Latin: Ovarium
ovary in Lithuanian: Kiaušidė
ovary in Macedonian: Јајчник
ovary in Dutch: Eierstok
ovary in Japanese: 卵巣
ovary in Norwegian: Eggstokk
ovary in Norwegian Nynorsk: Eggstokk
ovary in Polish: Jajniki
ovary in Portuguese: Ovário
ovary in Russian: Яичники
ovary in Simple English: Ovary
ovary in Slovak: Vaječník
ovary in Slovenian: Jajčnik
ovary in Serbian: Јајници
ovary in Serbo-Croatian: Jajnici
ovary in Finnish: Munasarja
ovary in Swedish: Äggstock
ovary in Tamil: சூலகம்
ovary in Turkish: Yumurtalık
ovary in Ukrainian: Яєчник
ovary in Chinese: 卵巢
bag, ballocks, balls, basket, beard, breasts, cervix, clitoris, cod, cods, cullions, family jewels, female organs, genitalia, genitals, gonads, labia, labia majora, labia minora, lingam, lips, male organs, meat, nuts, nymphae, penis, phallus, private parts, privates, privy parts, pubic hair, pudenda, reproductive organs, rocks, scrotum, secondary sex characteristic, sex organs, spermary, testes, testicles, uterus, vagina, vulva, womb, yoni